Eid prayer can be performed in congregation, or individually any time between sunrise and noon. The best time of the Eid prayer is after the sun has reached the height of a spear (approximately 20 minutes from sunrise).
However if one missed it one should make it up.The Eid prayer is not preceded by the adhan (the call to announce the prayer time) or iqamah (the call to start prayer).The one who performs the Eid prayer must satisfy the conditions and avoid the invalidators of prayer. The Eid prayer consists of two Rak^ahs.
It is initiated with the opening takbir, with the intention to perform ^Id Prayer with the Imam, followed by the opening supplication, and seven takbirs. In between each takbir of the seven takbirs one recites the following du^a’:
“Subhanallah, walhamdulillah, wala ilaha illallah, wallahu akbar”.
Then one recites al-Isti^adhah (seeking refuge with Allah from the shaytan by saying:
“A^outhu billahi minash-Shaytanir-Rajeem”
Then, Suratul-Fatihah and Surat Qaf or Suratul al-‘A^la alternatively. In the second rak^ah one says five takbirs before reciting the Fatihah followed by Suratul-Qamar or Suratul-Ghashiyah.
If one started with the Fatihah leaving out any or the entire takbirs, ones prayer is still valid, however, one would miss out on the reward of the takbirs. Hence one should continue with one’s prayer order.
After the prayer, it is recommended that the Imam delivers two speeches (same as the Friday speech) starting with nine takbirs in the first half of the khutbah and seven in the second.
The Imam should teach the people the rules of breaking the fast, visiting one’s relatives, and other significant matters pertaining to Eid.
Recommended acts on the day of Eid
It is sunnah on the day of ^Id to have a bath before going to the prayer.
To wear perfume.
To clip one’s fingernails.
To wear the best of one’s clothes.
To take different routes to and from the ^Id prayer.
To go early to the mosque excluding the Imam.
It is sunnah to have a light snack such as dates or the like before going to the prayer.
Walking to the prayer place.
Saying takbirs of Eid is highly recommended after the sunset of the last day of Ramadan and remains until the Imam says the opening takbir of the ^Id prayer. This includes saying takbir in one’s home, the market places, mosques, and the streets.
Congratulating one another on the day of Eid is rewardable, as both Ibn Hajar and Al-Bayhaqiyy stated.
It is sunnah to spend the night preceding the day of ^Id in acts of worship such as praying or the like.Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) used to pray ^Id prayer consistently as it is sunnah mu’akkadah.
The first Eid prayer that the Prophet performed was in the second year after the Hijrah (migration).
Takbirs of Eid And Meaning of the Eid Takbirs
1. Allahu akbarullahu akbarullahu akbar,
2. La ilaha illallah. Allahu akbar
3. Allahu akbar wa lillahi-hamd. (3 Times)
4. Allahu akbaru kabira
5. Wal-hamdu lillahi kathira,
6. Wa subhanallahi Wa bihamdihi bukratawwa asila.
7. La ilaha illallahu wahdah,
8. Sadaqa wa^dah, wa nasara ^abdah,
9. Wa ‘a^azza jundahu, Wa hazam-al-‘ahzaba wahdah
10. La ilaha illallah,
11. Wa la na^budu illa Iyyah.
12. Mukhlisina lahud-Dina
13. Wa law karihal-kafirun
14. Allahumma salli ^ala (sayyidina) Muhammad,
15. Wa^ala ali (sayyidina) Muhammad,
16. Wa^ala as-habi (sayyidina) Muhammad,
17. Wa^ala ansari (sayyidina) Muhammad,
18. Wa^ala azwaji (sayyidina) Muhammad,
19.Wa^ala dhurriyyati (sayyidina) Muhammadiw-wa sallim tasliman kathira.20. Rabbigh-fir li wali-walidayya rabbir-hamhuma kama rabbayani saghira.
Meaning of the Eid Takbirs
1. Allaah is Great
2. No one is God except Allah.
3. Allah is Great and Praise is due to Allah.
4. Allah is Great.
5. Many praise is due to Allah.
6. Praise to Allah at the beginning of the day and at the end of the day.
7. No one is God except Allah
8. He fulfilled His promise and gave Victory to His slave.
9. He strengthened His soldiers and He alone defeated the Ahzab.
10. No one is God except Allah.
11. We do not worship anyone but Him.
12. Our worship is dedicated only to Him.
13. Even if the non-believers hate it.
14. We ask Allah to raise the status of (our master) Muhammad,
15. And the Al (Muslim wives and relatives) of our (master) Muhammad,
16. And the sahabah (Companions) of (our master) Muhammad.
17. And the Ansar (The people of Madinah who supported the Prophet) of (our master) Muhammad,
18. And the wives of (our master) Muhammad,
19. And the descendents of (our master) Muhammad, and save the (Muslim) Nation of (our master) Muhammad.
20. Oh Allah forgive me and my parents, and have mercy on them for the great efforts they exerted in raising me.